Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love

"You did then what you knew how to do and when you knew better you did better."
-Maya Angelou

Love. And what is that about? The importance of love shining through it all? Through the gossip and bullshit and idiocy. Through the Tiger Woods scandal and troops deploying to Afghanistan. Through the economy woes and droughts and floods and hatred and hunger. There is, always flowing, this bright blue wave of love. Just pulsating around and in us hoping to be touched and held and accepted. Because if I learned anything from Sex and the City (the movie) it's that, "Love is the thing..."

And it is. It is the thing. Have you read "Eat, Pray, Love"? If you haven't, get a copy and thumb through it. I liked the bit where she says that all the wars in history have been fought over only two questions: Who is in charge here? and How much do you love me?

And how true is that? How much do you love me? I will go to war to prove my love for you. So answer me, how much do you love me? And so the stories go. And the wars are fought.

And true love waits. It is patient and kind the Corinthians say. It isn't boastful. It's just there, shimmering underneath the detritus of life. Shiny, and hopeful. Love waits.

And the older I get the more I know love. You can't hold it in your hands. You can't demand it stay. You can't bully it or compliment it into sticking around. No. Love is smarter than that. Love is smarter than us all. You must simply accept it.

Eat, Pray, Love

No comments:

Post a Comment